Hudson to China is a toy theatre spectacle that features a combination of projections, puppetry, theatre, and live-music all in a giant red box! An epic “small” show that challenges our perceptions of China, capitalism, consumerism, and the universal human desire for success.
The worlds of three very different dreamers collide in Hudson to China. Harry, an unemployed Wall Street Broker, dreams of success by literally conquering what he fears: China and its economy. Hua, a recent Chinese immigrant, struggles to find her place in the fast-paced life of New York City. Meanwhile, the Statue of Henry Hudson longs to finish his journey to the mythical Orient. On their journeys the voyagers are challenged to question their perceptions of China, and its complex history with the United States. Three puppeteers/actors and a one-man band, Bob Goldberg, plays throughout the piece, incorporating the accordion and a multitude of percussion instruments.
Co-created by: Renee Philippi and Carlo Adinolfi; Puppets & Set: Carlo Adinolfi; Director: Renee Philippi; Original Music: Bob Goldberg; Lighting Design and Projection Animation: Casey McLain; Performed by: Carlo Adinolfi, Brian Carson, Bob Goldberg, and Akiko Hiroshima.
Voice 4 Vision Puppetry Festival, Theater for the New City, New York, NY
Dixon Place, Puppet Blok, New York, NY
Great Small Works’ International Toy Theatre Festival, St. Ann’s Warehouse,
Hudson Opera House, Hudson, NY
Dixon Place, Puppet Blok
Support for Hudson to China comes from a commission by the Hudson Opera House, Hudson, NY with funds from the New York State Council for the Arts, a Jim Henson Foundation Project Grant, as well as Concrete Temple Theatre’s support from NYSCA, New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, and Dixon Place’s Puppet Blok.
1) “Hudson to China” Workshop – Toy Theatre: has participants creating their own toy theatre.
2) “Hudson to China” Workshop – Write your Own Toy Theatre Play: has participants writing their own toy theatre script and storyboard.
3) “Hudson to China” Workshop – Acting and Directing with Toy Theatre: leads participants and how to interweave acting and directing when presenting toy theatre.
4) “Hudson to China” Workshop – Projections and Toy Theatre Play: leads participants in creating projections and integrating them into toy theatre works.
5) Talkback with Audience or Special Focus Group.
6) Lecture/Demonstration: with excerpts from the show as examples. The Lecture/Demo can focus on: Our Creative Process, a Discussion of China and US Relations, Toy Theatre, Different Types of Puppetry, Agitprop Theatre, etc.